June is Men’s Health Month, but our Clinical Nursing Team works year-round with its clients on improving their daily health habits.
From diabetes education to nutritional information and more, our staff helps men and women reach their goals and live healthier, happier lives.
This month, they’d like to share several men’s health related tips and facts they’ve gleaned from a variety of sources and their own expertise. Let’s take a look:
RELATED CONTENT: How to Utilize our Patient Portal for Your Family Medicine Needs
Did You Know? Men’s Health Facts
- Genetics only determines 30% of a men’s health. Men can control the other 70% through their lifestyles.
- Males who climb 50 stairs or walk five city blocks a day may lower their risk of a heart attack by 25%.
- Men who consume four to 10 drinks a week (at most) have a lower risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes.
- Drinking more than 10 drinks a week almost doubles your Type 2 Diabetes risk.
- Inactive men are 60% more likely to suffer from depression than their active counterparts.
- Men who sleep seven to eight hours per night are 60% less likely to suffer a fatal heart attack than those who sleep 5 hours or less.
- Males live about five years less than females, on average.
- Men have a higher death rate for most of the leading causes of death, including cancer, heart disease, diabetes and suicide.
- Half of men will develop cancer in their lifetimes.
- Men make half as many preventive doctor’s visits as women.
What You Can Do
Try these suggestions that sources say improve men’s health:
- Getting five to seven servings of fruit and vegetables each day might seem impossible. It isn’t! Try this: 1. A glass of orange juice. 2. One potato. 3. One big carrot. 4. Half of an avocado. 5. A pear.
- Add at least one fruit and vegetable to every meal.
- Say no to super-sizing.
- Eat a variety of foods.
- Keep comfortable walking shoes handy at work and in the car can improve men’s health.
- Play with your kids or grandkids. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Do yard work. Choose activities that you enjoy to stay motivated.
- Make prevention a priority. You can detect most health conditions early with regular checkups. Quitting smoking and drinking less can also prevent chronic conditions.
Do you want to talk to one of our health professionals about improving your health? Schedule an appointment today. Check out our primary care clinics and services.
Sources: Consumer Health Digest, Illinois Department of Public Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention, menshealthmonth.org, Military Health System.