Client Rights and Responsibilities
To provide you with quality services that meet your needs, it is important that you participate in your treatment and that you understand and exercise your rights and responsibilities listed below.
RIGHTS | You have the right to:
- Considerate, respectful, and safe care and protection from harm, abuse, neglect, and exploitation with recognition of your personal dignity.
- Person centered and family-centered care which recognizes individual cultural needs.
- Access medically appropriate and available treatment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or status as transgender, national origin, age, military service, socioeconomic status, or disability.
- Freedom of choice or to request a change in your provider at A&C or designated partner organizations.
- Privacy regarding your involvement with A&C to the extent provided by federal and state law. *
- Receive information about the identity, education, licensure, and professional status of individuals involved in providing your services.
- Obtain information regarding your care, in compliance with applicable laws. • Review and receive an explanation of the bill for services rendered by A&C staff.
- Participate in making treatment decisions as well as the right to a clear and complete description of recommended services.
- Pain screening.
- Be informed of outcomes of any treatment, care, or service whenever those outcomes differ significantly from the anticipated outcomes.
- Express concerns, grievances, or complaints regarding any aspect of your care.
- Give or withhold informed consent. **
- Receive information in terms and languages you understand.
- Contact and consult with legal counsel and private practitioners of your choice at your expense.
- Access protective and advocacy services.
- Never be denied service based solely on inability to pay. A sliding fee discount schedule is available for those who qualify.
*At times state and/or federal statutes require or permit the release of information without a signed release of information and to allow for emergency treatment without consent in certain circumstances. Please see A&C Notice of Privacy Practices.
**If you are court ordered to participate in treatment and wish to refuse, you may petition the committing court for consideration.
RESPONSIBILITIES | You have the responsibility to:
- Provide accurate and complete information about your present concerns, past illnesses, prior treatments, and other matters relating to your care.
- Be an active and cooperative partner in following your treatment plan, including keeping appointments and notifying clinicians of necessary cancellations.
- Ask questions regarding your treatment if you do not understand and / or agree with the recommendations of A&C staff.
- Pay all charges for treatment services not covered by insurance in a timely manner.
- Inform A&C if and when you choose to receive mental health services elsewhere.
- Abstain from being under the influence of alcohol or other non-prescribed mood-altering substances while on A&C premises.
- Be considerate of the rights and concerns of other clients and A&C staff.
- Respect the confidentiality and privacy of other persons seen at A&C.
- Never carry weapons of any kind on A&C premises.
- Provide supervision of any minor children who may accompany you to A&C.
- Abstain from using any tobacco products while on any A&C property, inside buildings and outside grounds.
If you are dissatisfied with your services, have a concern about your treatment or safety, or feel that your privacy or confidentiality has not been honored, please call the Care Experience Hotline at (317) 893-0319.
If you do not want to speak to someone directly, you may fill out a “Client Grievance/Complaint” form which is located in each lobby. You also have the right to contact the DMHA Consumer Service Line at (800) 901-1133 or The Joint Commission Complaint Line at: (800) 994-6610 or Indiana Disability Rights at (800) 622-4845.
Adult & Child 24-Hour Emergency Assistance
Behavioral health needs and medical concerns can be addressed 24/7 by contacting the numbers below.